Gateway's Garden is in it's fifth year, and it's still growing!
Check out the slideshow of our progress! Scroll down to learn more. Click here to DONATE to our garden..
The Garden has many functions:
- Permaculture gardening: A place for students to learn skills of natural building, regenerative design, and plant propagation through hands-on projects.
- Healthy Eating: A place for students to learn about nutrition, food preparation, and cooking techniques.
- Art: A central space for youth art and artistic language expression.
- Wildlife Habitat: An outdoor laboratory for students to study natural ecosystems and the interdependence of plant and animal species.
- Sustainability Principles: A living example of a site that uses all renewable energies and energy efficient systems, including solar and wind power.
- Food Production: An opportunity for students to develop small business models to sell excess food yields from The Garden and track income and expenses.
- Outdoor classroom: Ample space and modular seating allows for flexible student groupings for classes of all sizes and types, including small group mediations.
- Outdoor performance/event space: A covered performance space is planned for music, drama, film, and other school events.
- Neighborhood beautification: The Garden and other planted areas of the school are visible from neighborhood sidewalks and adjacent Kimball Park.